The Province is providing $1,025,000 to support the construction of Matthew's House, which will offer respite for children with complex medical challenges and their families.
In honour of and inspired by Matthew Froese and his family, Matthew's House will offer children a safe, welcoming place to stay, while allowing their parents time to rest. It will offer long- and short-term respite, based on the needs of the families.
The Dave Lede Campus of Care will bring Matthew's House together with the Abbotsford Hospice Society's Holmberg House, which will provide hospice services to adults, and a second Canuck Place Children's Hospice, which will provide specialized pediatric palliative care services for children and support for their families.
The City of Abbotsford has contributed land adjacent to the Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre for the Dave Lede Campus of Care. The city has signed a 99-year lease with the group for $10.
Construction of Matthew's House is expected to get underway within the coming months. The Dave Lede Campus of Care is expected to be complete in 2013.
Michael de Jong, Minister of Health -
"Matthew's House will help create a home-away-from-home feeling for children and their families, providing them with the services they require to enjoy time together in a healthy and balanced environment."
Steve Thiessen, CEO, Communitas Supportive Care Society -
"The measure of a society is the value given to its citizens who are most vulnerable. This gift from the Ministry of Health is a wonderful affirmation of the vision of Matthew's House and the children and families throughout British Columbia whom it will serve."
Andrea Froese, mother of Matthew -
"I want Matthew's House to be a place where we can come alongside families with similar challenges and let them know that they are doing a good job and it's okay that they are tired. Matthew's House is here to relieve that a little, to offer some rest."
"Thanks to the Province's support of this important project for not only helping to carry on Matthew's legacy, but for standing alongside the families who also have brave little souls who will benefit from Matthew's House."
- Matthew's House will welcome children aged infant to 19.
- Matthew's House is the first of its kind in Abbotsford. It will serve children and families from throughout British Columbia.
- Designed to support up to five children at a time, Matthew's House will help to create a support network for the children and their families.
- Matthew's House will be run by experienced nurses and staffed through Communitas Supportive Care Society.
- Communitas is an organization that has provided various resources to people living and dealing with mental, physical and/or emotional disabilities for over 35 years.
For more information on Matthew's House, please visit: www.mattshouse.ca
Media Relations Manager
Ministry of Health
250 952-1887 (media line)