A partnership between the government of B.C., River City Seniors Society and Mayfair Developments will create 20 new apartments for low-to-moderate income seniors in Kamloops.
The new four-storey development, Mayfair at RiverBend Seniors Community, will be located at 755 Mayfair St. and is part of the larger RiverBend Seniors Community complex. In total, the new building will contain 101 units.
Project partners and funding include:
- The government of B.C. will provide approximately $2.1 million in financing for the affordable housing units.
- The River City Seniors Society will contribute approximately $115,000 in equity and will own and operate the 20 units of affordable seniors housing at Mayfair.
Mayfair residents will share access to a multi-purpose room, workshop, lounge and community garden and will share other amenities with the overall RiverBend Seniors Community including a dining room, library and games room, a fitness centre, a theatre room and a salon.
Construction has begun on the site and is expected to be complete by summer 2014.
Terry Lake, Minister of Environment and MLA for Kamloops-North Thompson -
"This partnership will bring 20 new affordable apartments for seniors to our community. It brings together government, private and non-profit sector resources to create affordable, self-sustaining housing for British Columbians in greatest need."
"I would like to congratulate the society and thank them for providing affordable housing for seniors in Kamloops for almost 50 years."
Mayor Peter Milobar, City of
"This project addresses important community needs in Kamloops by supporting our aging population and expanding our inventory of affordable housing. We are excited to see the transformation of this part of our city as the RiverBend community grows."
Carol Johnson, board member, River City Seniors Society -
"Our society is proud to be able to provide affordable housing for seniors in Kamloops as well as to offer support services to all residents of the RiverBend Seniors Community. We would like to thank the provincial government and Mayfair Developments who have made this project viable for our society."
Frank Quinn, president and CEO, Mayfair Developments -
"Mayfair is the newest collection of private-ownership suites and services developed specifically for seniors as part of the RiverBend Seniors Community. We are pleased to work with River City Seniors Society on its goal of making 20 homes available to low and moderate income seniors in our community."
- Since 2001, the B.C. government has invested $3.2 billion to provide affordable housing for low-income individuals, seniors and families. This year, more than 97,000 B.C. households will benefit from provincial housing programs and services.
- In 2011-12, the B.C. government invested over $7.5 million to provide subsidized housing and rent supplements for more than 1,800 Kamloops households.
- Under BC's Family Agenda, government is committed to improving housing for low-income families, seniors and people experiencing homelessness.
- Mayfair will feature a total of 101 apartments for seniors on four floors.
- Age-in-place support services including optional meals, cleaning and laundry services will be available to all residents.
- Shared facilities and programs will be available within the RiverBend Seniors Community.
To learn more about affordable housing in B.C., visit: www.bchousing.org
To learn more about Riverbend Seniors Community, visit: www.theriverbend.ca