Since the launch of the partnership between Service BC and BC Transplant, the number of local organ donor registrations has been double the previous five-year average.
In the month of May alone, the number of registrations at the Quesnel location was seven times larger, growing from four in 2014 to 28 in 2015.
The increase in numbers is thanks to the partnership program between BC Transplant and the Province launched in April 2015. The program makes supporting organ donation easier by providing information on organ donation and registering organ-donation decisions at all 61 Service BC locations throughout the province.
Quesnel has been active in this program longer than most. Quesnel was selected as a pilot location in 2014, and the success in this community was a contributing factor to rolling the program out around the province.
Currently, more than 95% of British Columbians support organ donation. As of April 2015, only 20% had registered their decision to be a donor. By reducing red tape for real people, this program is making it easier for the other 80% of British Columbians to register their decision.
Service BC centres are central offices where British Columbians can access a wide range of government services. This program offers visitors information about organ donation, answers questions and assists those interested in confirming their intention by registering online.
With close to 500 B.C. citizens on the transplant waiting list, signing up to become an organ donor could help save lives - possibly the life of a neighbour, co-worker, friend or family member in need. This program will allow British Columbians to step forward, register and potentially change the life of a patient in need.
Minister of Technology, Innovation and Citizens' Services Amrik Virk -
“Organ donation saves lives. Taking a moment to register at Service BC is a simple, small step anyone can do. With 61 locations across the province in communities like Quesnel, we are ensuring that all British Columbians will have the opportunity be a life-saver.”
Minister of Health Terry Lake -
”British Columbians support organ donation and this program makes it easier for people to take the next step and register their decision. Giving someone a second chance at life is a rare opportunity. I’ve registered, have you?"
MLA Cariboo North Coralee Oakes -
“I’m proud Quesnel has consistently stepped up and are choosing to help save a life, be it a stranger, a friend or family member. This community is showing its strength by choosing to register their decision on organ donation, and I hope we continue to be a leader in this area.”
Quesnel resident and sister of transplant recipient Pam Robertson -
“My sister Val received a heart transplant in April. We thought we were going to lose her, and now she’s feeling great and recovering in Vancouver. We are so thankful to her donor; the impact of that one person’s decision is life changing for Val and for our whole community.”
- Close to 500 British Columbians are currently waiting for a life-saving transplant.
- Nearly 400 of the people on the list are waiting for a kidney.
- A single donor can save up to eight lives.
- A decal on your driver’s licence is no longer enough. A potential donor also needs to register using a BC Services Card or CareCard at: http://www.transplant.bc.ca/
- You can register no matter how old you are. Canada’s oldest organ donor on record was 93.
- More than 95% of B.C. residents support organ donation, yet only 20% have registered their decision.
- Service BC delivers hundreds of services for government programs to residents, businesses and visitors - in person, online and over the phone. There are 61 Service BC centres located in British Columbia, serving more than 1.34 million people every year.
- BC Transplant, an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority, provides provincial oversight for all organ donation and transplantation activities in B.C.
BC Transplant: http://www.transplant.bc.ca/
Service BC: www.servicebc.gov.bc.ca
HealthLinkBC - Organ Transplant: www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthtopics/content.asp?hwid=ty7522
Ministry of Technology, Innovation and Citizens’ Services