Children and Family Development

New child-care spaces are on their way

Print

Children and Family Development

New child-care spaces are on their way

Media Contacts
Government Communications and Public Engagement
Ministry of Children and Family Development
250 953-4432/250 812-3429
Media Contacts
Government Communications and Public Engagement
Ministry of Children and Family Development
250 953-4432/250 812-3429

Backgrounders

B.C. communities receive 1,818 new child-care spaces

This backgrounder contains additional information on the 43 organizations (45 projects) that are sharing nearly $11.3 million in child-care major capital funding to create a total of 1,818 new licensed child-care spaces throughout the province. Funding for these new spaces has been allocated based on the following criteria:

  • Non-profit child-care providers are eligible to receive up to $500,000.
  • Private (for-profit, including family child-care) providers can receive up to $250,000.
  • Targeted: Projects creating new licensed child-care spaces on school grounds are eligible to receive up to 90% of the total project cost; applicants are responsible for the remaining 10%.
  • Co-located: Projects creating new licensed child-care spaces that are co-located with other family-support programs are eligible to receive up to 80% of the total project cost; applicants must cover the cost of the remaining 20%.
  • Regular: All other projects are eligible to receive up to 75% if the total cost of the project; applicants must cover the remaining 25%.
  • Not every project application is for the maximum provincial investment available, as the project may be smaller or the costs may be lower (Eg. Licensed family child-care providers).
  • The actual cost per space varies due to a range of factors, including the type of space being built and the community profile. For example, a family child-care provider could potentially build new spaces for approximately $500 per space, whereas a group-care provider located in a rural or remote community could potentially have a higher cost per space due to the availability of materials and contractors in the area.

The details on funding, including the type of funding for each successful applicant, are included below. More information on each project will be available once project agreements have been finalized.

Abbotsford

Regular: Little Wonders Montessori Childcare & Preschool is receiving $63,977 to create 57 spaces – 12 for infants and toddlers, 23 for children aged three to five years and 22 school-aged spaces.

Regular: New Leaf Childcare Centre is receiving $250,000 to create 48 spaces – 24 for infants and toddlers and 24 for children aged three to five years.

Total: $313,977 for 105 spaces.

Burnaby

Targeted: The Student Association of the BC Institute of Technology is receiving $500,000 to create 37 spaces – 12 for infants and toddlers and 25 for children aged three to five years – at the BCIT Student Association Child Care Centre.

Castlegar

Co-located: The Blueberry Creek Community School is receiving $109,647 to create 12 new infant and toddler spaces. Other onsite services include a StrongStart BC Centre, Kootenay Family Place and a youth program.

Comox

Co-located: The Comox Valley Children’s Day Care Society is receiving $101,095 to create 12 new infant and toddler spaces at the Tigger Too Early Learning Centre. Other onsite services include a satellite Comox Valley BC Early Years Centre and a community centre.

Coquitlam

Regular: Academics PreKindergarten Marine Inc. is receiving $250,000 to create 132 group multi-age spaces at their Westwood location.

Regular: The Bee House Montessori Day Care is receiving $250,000 to create 32 spaces – 16 for infants and toddlers and 16 for children aged three to five years.

Total: $500,000 for 164 spaces.

Cranbrook

Regular: The High Peak Early Learning Centre is receiving $22,191 to create 16 spaces for children aged three to five years.

Dawson Creek

Targeted: Campus Kids Daycare Society is receiving $364,992 to create 20 infant and toddler spaces on the Northern Lights College campus.

Delta

Co-located: Reach Child and Youth Development Society is receiving $211,346 to create 20 preschool spaces at the South Delta Developmental Preschool. Other onsite services include the Reach Child and Youth Development Society and the Kinsmen Club.

Duncan

Co-located: The Cowichan Intercultural Society is receiving $35,040 to create 20 group multi-age spaces at the Cowichan Intercultural Society Childcare Centre.

Co-located: The Cowichan Station Area Association is receiving $23,436 to create 32 spaces – 16 spaces for children aged three to five years, and 16 preschool spaces – at the International Montessori Academy of Cowichan Station.

Targeted: The Cowichan Tribes are receiving $143,402 to create 28 spaces for children aged three to five years at the Le’lum’uy’lh Daycare Centre on the same grounds as Quw’utsun Hu-yi’xwule’ Middle school.

Total: $201,878 for 80 spaces.

Enderby

Targeted: The Enderby Preschool Society is receiving $424,618 to create 33 spaces – 25 spaces for children aged three to five years and eight group multi-age spaces at M.V. Beattie Elementary school.

Esowista Reserve (Tofino)

Co-located: The Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation is receiving $448,125 to create 42 spaces – six infant and toddler, 10 spaces for children aged three to five years, 16 preschool spaces and 10 school-aged spaces – at the Tlucha Children’s Centre, which will be constructed on the Esowista Reserve in Tofino.

Houston

Co-located: The Houston Community Services Association is receiving $307,952 to create 58 spaces – eight infant and toddler spaces, 16 spaces for children aged three to five, 14 preschool spaces and 20 school-aged spaces – at The Beanstalk Child Care Centre, which is co-located with the Bulkley Valley Child Development Centre.

Kamloops

Targeted: Tk’emlups te Secwepemc is receiving $500,000 to create 32 infant and toddler spaces at Little Fawn Nursery, which is located beside the Sk’elep School of Excellence.

Kelowna

Co-located: The YMCA of Okanagan is receiving $500,000 to create 67 spaces – 12 infant and toddler spaces, 25 spaces for children aged three to five years, 10 preschool spaces and 20 school-aged spaces – at the YMCA Glenmore Child Care Centre at Providence Court.

Regular: Building Blocks Educational Childcare Ltd. is receiving $150,143 to create 68 spaces – 36 for infants and toddlers and 32 spaces for children aged three to five years – at Building Blocks Educare Day Care and Preschool.

Targeted: The Clubhouse Child Care Centre is receiving $338,532 to create 70 spaces – 12 infant and toddler spaces, 20 preschool spaces and 38 school-aged spaces – at St. Joseph Elementary school.

Total: $988,675 for 205 spaces.

Langley

Regular: SLC Learning Centres Ltd. is receiving $250,000 to create 108 spaces – 36 for infants and toddlers and 72 for children aged three to five years – at the new Creative Kids Learning Centre in Langley Meadows.

Targeted: Elms Academy Ltd. is receiving $225,000 to create 20 infant and toddler spaces at Peregrine House School, which is located at the James Anderson Learning Centre.

Total: $475,000 for 128 spaces.

Maple Ridge

Regular: Fundamentals Childcare Centre Inc. is receiving $208,776 to create 46 spaces – 15 preschool spaces, 16 multi-age spaces and 15 school-aged spaces.

Merritt

Co-located: The Merritt Youth and Family Resource Society is receiving $235,200 to create 28 spaces – four infant and toddler spaces and 24 school-aged spaces at Family Place.

Nanaimo

Co-located: The Tillicum Lelum Aboriginal Friendship Society is receiving $500,000 to create 49 spaces for children aged three to five years at the Tillicum Village Child Care Centre.

Naramata

Targeted: The Naramata Playschool Society is receiving $140,813 to create 20 spaces for children aged three to five years at the Naramata Child Development Centre at Naramata Elementary school.

Penticton

Targeted: The Okanagan YMCA is receiving $500,000 to create 37 spaces – 12 infant and toddler spaces and 25 spaces for children aged three to five years – at Queens Park Elementary school.

Targeted: Okanagan College is receiving $500,000 to create 64 school-aged spaces on their Penticton campus as part of a partnership with the Penticton District Community Resource Society, which will operate the spaces.

Total: $1 million for 101 spaces.

Pitt Meadows

Regular: The Katzie Cultural Education Society is receiving $500,000 to create 68 spaces – 16 infant and toddler spaces, 16 spaces for children aged three to five years, 16 preschool spaces and 20 school-aged spaces – at the Katzie BC Early Years Centre.

Port Coquitlam

Targeted: Birchland Tree House Play Care Ltd. is receiving $213,614 to create 20 infant and toddler spaces – at Birchland Elementary school.

Port Hardy

Targeted: The Kwakiutl Indian Band is receiving $47,270 to create 18 spaces at Wagalus Preschool, which is co-located with Wagalus School.

Princeton

Regular: The Little Seeds Childcare Centre is receiving $15,409 to create 34 spaces – five infant and toddler spaces, 11 spaces for children aged three to five years and 18 school-aged spaces –at the Little Seeds Early Learning Centre.

Richmond

Regular: The Colourful World Montessori Society is receiving $113,593 to create 12 infant and toddler spaces at Colourful World Montessori.

Squamish

Targeted: The Squamish Montessori Society is receiving $429,873 to create 50 spaces for children aged three to five years at the Squamish Montessori Elementary school, which is currently under construction.

Surrey

Regular: The StrongStart Children’s Learning Centre Ltd. is receiving $250,000 to create 97 spaces – eight infant and toddler spaces, 25 spaces for children aged three to five years, 25 preschool spaces and 39 school-aged spaces – at the StrongStart Children’s Learning Centre.

Regular: Progressive Intercultural Services is receiving $500,000 for 75 group multi-age spaces at the PICS Child Care Centre.

Regular: The Kids Zone Child Care Centre #2 is receiving $68,172 to create 24 spaces for children aged three to five years.

Regular: Kinvig Out of School Care Ltd. is receiving $160,108 to create 12 infant and toddler spaces at W.E. Kinvig Elementary school.

Regular: Smilestones Junior Kindergarten North is receiving $73,641 to create 44 spaces – 12 for infants and toddlers and 32 for children aged three to five years – at its North Surrey site.

Regular: Smilestones Junior Kindergarten Ltd. is receiving $170,595 to create 28 spaces – 12 for infants and toddlers and 16 for children aged three to five years – at its South Surrey site.

Total: $1.2 million for 280 spaces.

Vancouver

Co-located: The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is receiving $500,000 to create 49 spaces – 24 for infants and toddlers and 25 for children aged three to five years – at the Wesbrook Community Centre on the UBC campus.

Co-located: The Association of Neighbourhood Houses is receiving $77,395 to create 24 school-aged spaces at Gordon Neighbourhood House Out of School Care. Other onsite services include a single mothers’ support group and a family thrift store.

Regular: The City of Vancouver is receiving $500,000 to create 37 spaces – 12 for infants and toddlers and 25 for children aged three to five years – at the Water Street Child Care Centre to help serve the downtown central business district and the downtown eastside.

Total: $1.08 million for 110 spaces.

Vanderhoof

Co-located: The YMCA of Northern BC is receiving $75,525 to create eight infant and toddler spaces at the Vanderhoof Family Development Centre.

Victoria

Regular: The ArtsCalibre Academy Foundation in Saanich is receiving $8,853 to create 10 preschool spaces at ArtsCalibre Academy Preschool.

Connect with the Ministry

Photos

View the Ministry's latest photos on Flickr.

Videos

Watch the Ministry's latest videos on YouTube.

Sound Bites

Listen to the Ministry's latest audio clips on SoundCloud.

View all Social Media