Students, staff and teachers will get some extra room, thanks to 195 new student spaces and extensive upgrades to deal with growing enrolment at Henry Anderson Elementary school.
The Government of British Columbia and the Richmond school district are spending $5 million on the expansion.
- an eight-classroom addition that connects to the main school;
- revisions to the parking lot and drop-off area;
- updates to building maintenance systems; and
- improvements to sidewalks, landscaping, perimeter drains and water mains.
This project agreement will be cost-shared between the B.C. government and the Richmond school district, each contributing $2.5 million. Construction is scheduled to begin after the contract is awarded in the spring of 2016, and work is anticipated to be completed by spring 2017. Once complete, the capacity of the school will increase from 430 to 625 student spaces.
Mike Bernier, Minister of Education –
“With continued growth expected in Richmond, I know how important this renovation is to the community. Our partnership with the school district will enhance the school and give students the foundation to succeed in today’s changing world.”
Debbie Tablotney, board chair, Richmond Board of Education –
“Providing high-quality educational learning environments to our students and staff is a priority of the Richmond school district. The B.C. government's investment in Henry Anderson Elementary signifies the governments understanding that our district currently faces significant challenges with our facilities.
“As the City of Richmond continues to grow and the demographics of our community start to shift, we need to address the condition and capacity limitations of our schools.
“The funding that is being provided brings our school district a step closer to meeting the needs of our community.”
- There are 1,660 public schools in British Columbia, owned by 60 school districts.
- Since 2001, government has committed more than $4.2 billion to school capital projects in British Columbia, including 112 new and replacement schools, 186 additions, and 150 schools seismically improved.
- The current operating capacity of Henry Anderson Elementary is 401 students and 523 students are enrolled this school year.
Henry Anderson Elementary: http://anderson.sd38.bc.ca/
Richmond School District: http://www.sd38.bc.ca/
BC’s New Curriculum: https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/