The COVID-19 situation in British Columbia is continually evolving, and the information below is current as of 3 p.m. on Tuesday, April 14, 2020.
- Total confirmed cases in B.C.: 1,517
- New cases since April 13, 2020: 27
- Hospitalized cases: 134
- Intensive care: 58
- COVID-19 related deaths: 72
- Recovered: 942
- Long-term care and assisted-living homes currently affected: 21
Confirmed cases by region:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 658
- Fraser Health: 601
- Island Health: 89
- Interior Health: 141
- Northern Health: 28
New provincial advice and measures:
- NEW: Statement on anniversary of overdose crisis as public health emergency in B.C.: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020MMHA0010-000685
New federal measures:
- NEW: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announces health and social support for northern communities: https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2020/04/14/prime-minister-announces-health-and-social-support-northern
- NEW: Joint statement by Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and the European Union’s High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy regarding international collaboration in addressing COVID-19: https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affairs/news/2020/04/joint-statement-by-canadas-minister-of-foreign-affairs-and-the-european-unions-high-representative-for-foreign-affairs-and-security-policy-regardin.html
- NEW: Government of Canada provides $20 million to safeguard Canada's food supply by supporting critical food inspection services: https://www.canada.ca/en/food-inspection-agency/news/2020/04/government-of-canada-provides-20million-to-safeguard-canadas-food-supply-by-supporting-critical-food-inspection-services.html
- NEW: Public Health Agency of Canada releases interim guidance for infection prevention and control of COVID-19 for long-term care homes: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/04/public-health-agency-of-canada-releases-interim-guidance-for-infection-prevention-and-control-of-covid-19-for-long-term-care-homes.html
- NEW: Government of Canada further facilitates enforcement of the Federal Quarantine Act: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-justice/news/2020/04/government-of-canada-further-facilitates-enforcement-of-the-federal-quarantine-act.html
- NEW: Minister Morneau to discuss global co-ordination at the G7, G20 and the Spring Meetings of the IMF and the World Bank: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/04/minister-morneau-to-discuss-global-coordination-at-the-g7-g20-and-the-spring-meetings-of-the-imf-and-the-world-bank.html
Media availability schedule:
Upcoming scheduled media availabilities with Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer:
Wednesday, April 15 – 3 p.m., Victoria
Thursday, April 16 – statement only (no media availability)
Friday, April 17 – 9:15 a.m. technical briefing on modelling; 11 a.m. media availability; 3 p.m. statement issued
Saturday, April 18 – noon, Victoria
- For provincial support and COVID-19 information, visit: www.gov.bc.ca/covid
- For seniors looking for additional support at this time, call 211 or visit: http://www.bc211.ca/
- For information for Indigenous peoples in B.C., visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/indigenous-people/covid19
- If you or a family member need additional medical advice, call 811.
- 56,142 individuals have been tested as of April 11, 2020.
- If symptoms appear, check your symptoms online: https://covid19.thrive.health
- If needed, call your health-care provider or 811 for further guidance.
For the latest videos and livestreaming of COVID-19 media availabilities, visit:
For the latest medical updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and testing, visit: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For the provincial health officer's orders, notices and guidance, visit: www.gov.bc.ca/phoguidance
For non-health related information, including financial, child care and education supports, travel, transportation and essential service information, visit: www.gov.bc.ca/Covid-19
Or call 1 888 COVID19 (1 888 268-4319) between 7:30 a.m. and 8 p.m. Pacific time, seven days a week.
For recommendations on protecting yourself and your community, including for employers and businesses, visit:
For common questions about COVID-19 and terminology, visit:
Worker and employer information:
For workers and employers who need help understanding the law and their rights, have workplace heath and safety questions or who need help with claims, call:
Employment Standards Branch: 1 833 236-3700
For health and safety assistance: 1 888 621-7233 (1 888 621-SAFE)
For workers and claims: 1 888 967-5377 (1 888 WORKERS)