As of Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021, 86.3% (3,998,779) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 78.8% (3,652,033) received their second dose.
In addition, 86.8% (3,755,686) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 79.7% (3,445,951) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 706 new cases of COVID-19, including three epi-linked cases, for a total of 177,186 cases in the province.
There are 5,844 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 169,083 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 291 individuals are in hospital and 134 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
- 203 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 1,784
- 105 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- Total active cases: 1,051
- 213 new cases in Interior Health
- Total active cases: 1,504
- 104 new cases in Northern Health
- Total active cases: 857
- 81 new cases in Island Health
- Total active cases: 638
- no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
- Total active cases: 10
In the past 24 hours, four new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,877.
The new deaths include:
- Fraser Health: three
- Northern Health: one
There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at Menno Terrace East (Fraser Health). The outbreaks at Nicola Meadows and Rose Woods Village (Interior Health) have been declared over, for a total of 23 active outbreaks, including:
- long-term care: Northcrest Care Centre, Menno Home, Westminster House, Menno Terrace East (Fraser Health), Arbutus Care Centre, Louis Brier Home and Hospital, Opal by Element (Vancouver Coastal Health), Village at Mill Creek – second floor, Cottonwoods Care Centre, Brookhaven Care Centre, Spring Valley Care Centre, Kamloops Seniors Village, Hillside Village, The Hamlets at Westsyde, Joseph Creek Care Village (Interior Health), Sunset Lodge (Island Health) and Jubilee Lodge (Northern Health)
- acute care: Chilliwack General Hospital (Fraser Health), Fort St. John Hospital (Northern Health) and Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital (Interior Health)
- assisted or independent living: David Lloyd Jones, Sun Pointe Village and Hardy View Lodge (Interior Health)
From Sept. 8-14, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 76.1% of cases and from Sept. 1-14 they accounted for 86.4% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 8-14) – Total 4,914
- Not vaccinated: 3,347 (68.1%)
- Partially vaccinated: 391 (8.0%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,176 (23.9%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 1-14) – Total 390
- Not vaccinated: 318 (81.5%)
- Partially vaccinated: 19 (4.9%)
- Fully vaccinated: 53 (13.6%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 8-14)
- Not vaccinated: 320.9
- Partially vaccinated: 98.6
- Fully vaccinated: 30
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 1-14)
- Not vaccinated: 44.0
- Partially vaccinated: 7.6
- Fully vaccinated: 1.2
After factoring for age, people not vaccinated are 35.7 times more likely to be hospitalized than those fully vaccinated.
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 7,658,443 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
For health measures in the Northern Health region, visit: https://stories.northernhealth.ca/news/new-health-measures-introduced-northern-health-region
For the Aug. 31, 2021, modelling presentation, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/8-31_PHO_modelling.pdf
For the provincial health officer’s order on masks in public indoor settings, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25217
For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For health measures in the central Okanagan, visit:
For information on breakthrough cases, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/7-27_breakthrough_cases.pdf
Or see the BC Centre for Disease Control’s (BCCDC) weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register
To learn about BC’s Restart plan, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart
For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit:
For guidance on restrictions, visit:
The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
- BCCDC: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
- Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
- Island Health: https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19/data-outbreaks-facilities
- Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
- Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures