As of Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2022, 88.3% (4,402,649) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.0% (4,138,255) have received their second dose.
In addition, 92.0% (4,266,177) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89.3% (4,138,007) received their second dose and 21.5% (998,164) have received a third dose.
Also, 92.4% (3,996,885) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.7% (3,881,820) received their second dose and 23.1% (997,224) have received a third dose.
B.C. is reporting 3,798 new cases of COVID-19, including 11 epi-linked cases, for a total of 270,508 cases in the province.
There are 29,967 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 237,195 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 317 individuals are in hospital and 83 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
The new/active cases include:
- 1,739 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 13,920
- 840 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- Total active cases: 9,100
- 473 new cases in Interior Health
- Total active cases: 2,563
- 179 new cases in Northern Health
- Total active cases: 750
- 566 new cases in Island Health
- Total active cases: 3,631
- one new case of a person who resides outside of Canada
- Total active cases: three
In the past 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,427.
There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. The outbreaks at Lions Gate Hospital, Joseph & Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre and UBC Hospital - Detwiller Pavillion (Vancouver Coastal Health) have been declared over, for a total of 21 facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:
- long-term care:
- The Oxford Senior Care Home, Fort Langley Seniors Community, AgeCare Harmony Court, New Vista Care Centre, Chartwell Langley Gardens, Chartwell Carlton Gardens, Chartwell Crescent Gardens, Guildford Seniors Village, The Residence in Mission, Czorny Alzheimer Centre, Hawthorne Lodge (Fraser Health);
- Kopernik Lodge, Fraserview Retirement Community, Lakeview Care Centre (Vancouver Coastal Health);
- Ridgeview Lodge, Mount Cartier Court (Interior Health); and
- Amica Douglas House (Island Health)
- acute care:
- Mission Memorial Hospital, Surrey Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health); and
- Victoria General Hospital (Island Health)
- assisted or independent living:
- The Waverly Seniors Village (Fraser Health)
From Dec. 28 to Jan. 3, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 16.2% of cases, and from Dec. 21 to Jan. 3, they accounted for 51.4% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Dec. 28 to Jan. 3) - Total 22,600
- Not vaccinated: 3,127 (13.8%)
- Partially vaccinated: 542 (2.4%)
- Fully vaccinated: 18,931 (83.8%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 21 to Jan. 3) - Total 173
- Not vaccinated: 84 (48.6%)
- Partially vaccinated: 5 (2.8%)
- Fully vaccinated: 84 (48.6%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 28 to Jan. 3)
- Not vaccinated: 465.8
- Partially vaccinated: 148.1
- Fully vaccinated: 412.3
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 21 to Jan. 3)
- Not vaccinated: 19.6
- Partially vaccinated: 4.3
- Fully vaccinated: 1.8
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,502,325 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.
For the weekly update on variants of concern, visit: http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/VoC/VoC_Weekly_Summary%20report_2021-12-31.pdf
For information on booster doses, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/booster
For the Dec. 21, 2021, announcement on additional COVID-19 measures, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0234-002431
For the Dec. 21, 2021, PowerPoint presentation on COVID-19 updated measures, boosters and rapid antigen testing in B.C., visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/CovidMeasures.pdf
For the Dec. 17, 2021, announcement on new COVID-19 measures, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0230-002414
For the Nov. 23, 2021, announcement on COVID-19 pediatric vaccine for children aged 5-11, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0209-002245
To learn more about COVID-19 vaccines for children: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/children
For information on a third dose for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register#immunocompromised
As they become available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online: www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
For surgical renewal commitment progress reports, visit:
To learn about how B.C. counts its daily COVID-19 cases in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For information on breakthrough cases, see the BCCDC weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data or: www.bccdc.ca
To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register or https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/dose-2
For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/covid-19-novel-coronavirus
For guidance on restrictions, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/ or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
- BCCDC: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
- Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
- Island Health: https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19/data-outbreaks-facilities
- Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
- Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures