As of Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2022, 89.3% (4,448,921) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.4% (4,157,150) have received their second dose.
In addition, 92.4% (4,282,675) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89.7% (4,156,635) have received their second dose and 34.3% (1,591,505) have received a third dose.
Also, 92.8% (4,011,947) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 90.1% (3,898,949) have received their second dose and 36.8% (1,590,246) have received a third dose.
B.C. is reporting 1,975 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 301,121 cases in the province.
Note: The numbers of total and new cases are provisional due to a delayed data refresh and will be verified once confirmed.
There are 37,167 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 258,417 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 854 COVID-positive individuals are in hospital and 112 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
The new/active cases include:
- 731 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 18,271
- 503 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- Total active cases: 9,727
- 478 new cases in Interior Health
- Total active cases: 5,580
- 88 new cases in Northern Health
- Total active cases: 1,374
- 175 new cases in Island Health
- Total active cases: 2,200
- no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
- Total active cases: 15
In the past 24 hours, two new deaths (Fraser Health) have been reported, for an overall total of 2,492.
There have been nine new health-care facility outbreaks at CareLife Fleetwood, Menno Hospital, Buchanan Lodge, St. Michael’s Centre, Eden Care Centre (Fraser Health); Village at Smith Creek (Interior Health); Veterans Memorial Lodge, Sunset Lodge and Sidney Care Home (Island Health). The outbreaks at Eagle Ridge Hospital, The Oxford Senior Care Home, Chartwell Crescent Gardens, AgeCare Harmony Court (Fraser Health), Selkirk Seniors Village and Selkirk Village Assisted Living (Island Health) have been declared over, for a total of 53 facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:
- long-term care:
- New Vista Care Centre, Chartwell Langley Gardens, Chartwell Carlton Gardens, George Derby Centre, CareLife Fleetwood, Evergreen Baptist Care Society, Hilton Villa Seniors Community, Kinsmen Lodge, Kiwanis Care Centre, Peace Arch Hospital Foundation Lodge, Morgan Place, Maple Ridge Seniors Village, Amica White Rock, Mayfair Senior Living + Care, MSA Manor, Menno Hospital, Buchanan Lodge, St. Michael’s Centre, Eden Care Centre (Fraser Health);
- Kopernik Lodge, St. Vincent’s Langara (Vancouver Coastal Health);
- Mount Cartier Court, Sun Pointe Village, Lakeview Lodge, Hamlets in Vernon, Brocklehurst Gemstone, Heritage Square, Village at Smith Creek (Interior Health); and
- Amica Douglas House, Eden Gardens, Glenwarren Lodge, Kiwanis Village Lodge, Clover Point Care, Saanich Peninsula Hospital – long-term care, Oyster Harbour, Dufferin Place, Beacon Hill Villa, Salvation Army Sunset Lodge, James Bay Care Centre, The Heights at Mt. View, Luther Court, Veterans Memorial Lodge, Sunset Lodge and Sidney Care Home (Island Health)
- acute care:
- Surrey Memorial Hospital, Abbotsford Regional Hospital, Langley Memorial Hospital, Laurel Place, Burnaby Hospital, Peace Arch Hospital, CareLife Fleetwood (Fraser Health);
- Kelowna General Hospital (Interior Health); and
- Royal Jubilee Hospital (Island Health)
- assisted or independent living:
From Jan. 10-16, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 24.9% of cases.
From Jan. 3-16, they accounted for 32.3% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Jan. 10-16) - Total 14,922
- Not vaccinated: 3,086 (20.7%)
- Partially vaccinated: 629 (4.2%)
- Fully vaccinated: 11,207 (75.1%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Jan. 3-16) - Total 796
- Not vaccinated: 215 (27.0%)
- Partially vaccinated: 42 (5.3%)
- Fully vaccinated: 539 (67.7%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Jan. 10-16)
- Not vaccinated: 412.5
- Partially vaccinated: 179.8
- Fully vaccinated: 318.1
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Jan. 3-16)
- Not vaccinated: 52.3
- Partially vaccinated: 34.1
- Fully vaccinated: 11.6
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 10,158,329 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.
For the Jan. 14, 2022, modelling presentation, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/14.01.22_Covid19Modelling.pdf
For the weekly update on Variants of Concern (VOC), visit: http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/VoC/VoC_Weekly_20220114.pdf
For information on booster doses, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/booster
For the Dec. 21, 2021, announcement on additional COVID-19 measures, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0234-002431
For the Dec. 21, 2021, PowerPoint presentation on COVID-19 updated measures, boosters and rapid antigen testing in B.C., visit:
For the Dec. 17, 2021, announcement on new COVID-19 measures, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0230-002414
For the Nov. 23, 2021, announcement on COVID-19 pediatric vaccine for children 5-11, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0209-002245
To learn more about COVID-19 vaccines for children: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/children
For information on a third dose for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised, visit:
As they become available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online: www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
For surgical renewal commitment progress reports, visit:
To learn about how B.C. counts its daily COVID-19 cases in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For information on breakthrough cases, see the BCCDC weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register or https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/dose-2
For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/covid-19-novel-coronavirus
For guidance on restrictions, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/ or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
- BCCDC: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
- Interior Health: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/health-and-wellness/disease-outbreaks/covid-19/public-exposures
- Island Health: https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19/data-outbreaks-facilities
- Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
- Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures