British Columbia's network of international trade and investment offices, managed by the Ministry of Jobs, Trade and Technology, work to connect B.C. companies to international enterprises, building strong links to the natural resources, skills, products and services that make British Columbia an attractive place to invest and do business.
Trade and investment representatives (TIRs) provide advice to international companies interested in investing or establishing a presence in B.C. They also work to introduce B.C.’s manufacturers, product developers and service providers to new export market opportunities.
TIRs help global partners discover B.C.’s goods and services in such sectors as clean technology, life sciences, digital media and film production, as well as tourism, education, forestry and mining.
B.C. currently has about 65 trade and investment representatives based in 17 locations worldwide.
- Offices are located in Japan, South Korea, India, China, Southeast Asia, Europe and the United States.
- Since 2017, the Government of British Columbia has opened or expanded offices in the U.S. (Seattle and San Francisco) and Southeast Asia (Singapore).
- In 2017-18, B.C.’s trade and investment representatives played a key role in facilitating 489 inbound and outbound trips involving B.C. companies and organizations.
- The total value of foreign direct investment influenced by ministry programs during 2017-18 was nearly $1.392 billion, well exceeding set targets.
- In 2017-18, trade and investment representatives facilitated 213 international business agreements valued at nearly $450 million.
- Trade and investment representatives supported the opening of 27 offices of international companies in B.C. in 2017-18.
Trade and investment office locations:
- South Korea:
- Hong Kong
- United States:
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- Southeast Asia:
To find out more about the Province’s international trade and investment representative network, visit: http://www.britishcolumbia.ca/Global/Trade-and-Investment-Representatives.aspx