The third edition of the British Columbia Labour Market Outlook (Outlook) was released today on WorkBC.ca to provide the most up-to-date data on labour market demand and supply trends throughout the province between now and 2022.
Labour market projections contained in the Outlook indicate there will be more than one million job openings in B.C. over the next decade. The updated data also provides a strong foundation for ensuring that skills training decisions made through the BC Jobs Plan and B.C.’s Skills for Jobs Blueprint are aligned with the needs of B.C.’s labour market and key sectors of our growing economy, including liquefied natural gas.
According to the Outlook, job openings are driven by a combination of trends - 68% of job openings are expected due to retirements, and the remaining 32% as a result of economic growth. Retirements are driving job openings across all occupations while economic growth is boosting openings in occupations like skilled trades.
Updated Outlook data can be accessed through WorkBC.ca online tools that include comprehensive career, industry and regional profiles. These profiles answer questions such as which occupations will be most in demand over the next decade, and which industries will experience the highest growth. The Outlook is also available as a downloadable summary report on the WorkBC website.
This information is intended to help educators, counsellors, students and their families make the best possible decisions regarding education and skills training, while helping those who are unemployed or underemployed find jobs that are in demand right now. Post-secondary institutions will also use this data to ensure their programming aligns with high demand occupations now and over the next decade.
This year, with anticipated investment and activity related to B.C.’s LNG sector, a supplementary analysis from the 2014 British Columbia LNG Workforce Occupation Forecast has been added to the Outlook to provide additional context on the labour requirements of LNG development through 2023.
Labour market projections contained in the Outlook are based on available labour market data from Statistics Canada and other sources, industry growth and population projections and consultations with employers, industry partners and representatives from key sectors. They are meant to reflect general expected trends over the medium to long term.
Shirley Bond, Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Minister Responsible for Labour -
“Making the most effective use of our education and training resources means having the best possible data and labour market projections. The BC 2022 Labour Market Outlook is an important tool to guide these decisions and help British Columbians find their place in our rapidly evolving economy.”
- From 2012 to 2022, 985,100 job openings are expected in the B.C. labour market.A scenario with five LNG plants operating in B.C. would add an additional 100,000 jobs by 2023.
- More than three-quarters (78%) of the forecasted job openings will require post-secondary education and training, and 44% will require a college diploma or trade certificate.
- B.C.’s three largest regions by population- Mainland/Southwest, Vancouver Island/Coast and Thompson Okanagan - are expected to account for 90% of job openings between now and 2022.
- The Northeast, North Coast and Nechako regions, while more sparsely populated, are expected to have the highest annual demand growth based on new economic activity.
To learn more about the BC 2022 Labour Market Outlook, visit: http://www.workbc.ca/LMO
To learn more about the British Columbia LNG Workforce Occupation Forecast, visit: http://www.workbc.ca/Statistics/LNG/LNGMAIN.aspx
To learn more about the B.C.’s Skills for Jobs Blueprint, visit: http://www.workbc.ca/skills
To learn more about the BC Jobs Plan, visit: http://engage.gov.bc.ca/bcjobsplan/
Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Responsible for Labour