It’s a feast for the eyes as Canada’s legendary Royal Canadian Air Force Snowbirds are returning to the 68th annual Penticton Peach Festival in August.
Air shows draw people from around B.C. and from out of province. Air shows boost tourism dollars in the local economies that host them. August is a great time to work an air show into your B.C. staycation plans. By visiting local events and venues, you’re not only supporting vital businesses in your town or city, you’re also helping to create jobs.
The Snowbirds’ aerial performance at the Penticton Peach Festival is only one of a number of air shows in British Columbia during Aerospace Month in August:
- July 31 - Aug 2: SkyFest was held in Quesnel
- Aug. 5: Penticton, Canadian Forces Snowbirds Airshow at Penticton Peach Festival, 6 p.m.
- Aug. 6-7: Abbotsford, Aerospace Defence and Security Expo (ADSE)
- Aug. 7-9: Abbotsford International Airshow
- Aug. 12: Victoria, Canadian Forces Snowbirds Air Show, 5:45 p.m. over Clover Point
- Aug. 14: Courtenay, Vancouver Island Aerospace Association Alliance AGM and Aerospace Innovation Forum
- Aug. 15: Comox Air Show
- Aug. 15-16: Chilliwack Air Show
You can watch the Snowbirds during the Penticton Peach festival, taking place Aug. 5-9 at Okanagan Lake Park and Gyro Park.
August is an opportunity to celebrate B.C.’s growing aerospace industry. It generates annual industry revenues of approximately $2.4 billion, value-added output (GDP) of $1.3 billion and employs over 8,000 people. Globally, 38,050 new aircraft valued at $5.6 trillion are expected to be needed over the next 20 years.
In last year’s budget, the B.C. government committed $5 million over five years to develop and grow B.C.’s aerospace industry in partnership with the Aerospace Industries Association of Canada Pacific Division (AIAC Pacific).
Aerospace is supporting the BC Jobs Plan by helping to keep the economy diverse, strong and growing. Since September 2011, the BC Jobs Plan has been building on the strengths of eight of the province’s key sectors using an educated and skilled workforce.
Dan Ashton, MLA for Penticton –
“The Okanagan is home to some of Canada’s leading aviation industry facilities, such as HNZ Topflight in Penticton and Kelowna Flightcraft. Having the Snowbirds perform during the Peach Festival is an ideal way for us to celebrate B.C.’s growing aerospace industry.”
- B.C. is home to world-leading space companies and offers world-class capability in niche aerospace areas such as rotary aircraft, special mission aircraft, support services and flight training.
- B.C.’s gateway location between the countries and cultures of North America and Asia Pacific make British Columbia a natural location for growth within the aerospace industry.
- There will be many opportunities in skilled trades and technical occupations, like those found in the aerospace sector.
Canadian Forces Snowbirds: http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2014/2015-canadian-forces-snowbirds-schedule/
Penticton Peach Festival: http://www.peachfest.com/
Aerospace Defence and Security Expo: http://www.adse.ca/
Abbotsford International Airshow: http://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/
Comox Air Show: https://www.comoxairshow.ca/
Chilliwack Air Show: http://www.chilliwackairshow.ca/
BC Jobs Plan: http://engage.gov.bc.ca/bcjobsplan/