Growing B.C.’s thriving digital media sector and building future talent were the focus of two roundtable meetings in Vancouver today between Bruce Ralston, Minister of Jobs, Trade and Technology, HR Tech Group and digital media stakeholders.
In order to grow B.C.'s tech sector today and into the future, one roundtable hosted by HR Tech Group focused on how to educate and attract B.C.'s top talent to explore careers in technology. The other roundtable discussed ways to further support digital media technology in British Columbia.
Supporting digital media and tech organizations is critical to reaching Canada's innovation and economic objectives, and the Province recognizes their important role in the continued growth of B.C.’s technology sector.
HR Tech Group serves more than 130 mid-to-large sized B.C. companies in all areas of tech. It provides human resources professionals employed in the B.C. tech industry with opportunities to learn and exchange relevant knowledge and enrich their work on the job.
Following the roundtable meetings, which were held at Science World, Ralston and the attendees toured the facility to examine potential opportunities for Science World to showcase some of B.C.’s most innovative technology.
Science World reaches more than 100,000 students annually in their own communities through the delivery of provincial outreach programs using interactive science demonstrations, hands-on workshops, and electronic delivery to engage minds of all ages about science and technology.
- The Province will invest millions of dollars in hundreds more tech seats ranging from degrees to diplomas and certificates to provide more tech talent.
- B.C. will also expand co-op education opportunities.
- Government will partner with public post-secondary institutions to advance technology and innovation centres in key areas of the economy.
- B.C.'s new K-12 curriculum gives every student an opportunity to learn to code.
- The government is also establishing an Innovation Commission to support innovation and business development in the sector and an Innovation Commissioner to advocate for B.C.’s tech sector.
HR Tech Group: http://www.hrtechgroup.com
Science World at TELUS World of Science: https://www.scienceworld.ca
#BCTECH Strategy: https://bctechstrategy.gov.bc.ca/economy/renewed-bc-tech-strategy